Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Hi-ho, Hi-ho, It's Back to Work I Go!!

Well, sort of.  :)

I had my 2 week post-op today with the PA at my surgeon's office.  Surprisingly, I got out of bed, got ready and felt great when I walked out the door, rather than feeling the need for a nap like I have over the past week after just a little activity.  I drove to Cary, to the office and checked in on the 3rd floor, as usual.  I talked with one of the assistants behind the sliding window and went over my short-term disability forms.  While I was standing at the window, I noticed the nutritionist was in his office.  I asked if I could see him for a few minutes before or after my appointment.

They called me back to check with him.  I started asking him about protein and what I could do to substitute protein for the protein shakes.  I just can't even smell those things without dry-heaving.  If I happen to smell even the unflavored protein, I start getting gag-a-licious.  Seriously.  I am SO overly sensitive to smells right now, among other things.  I have a "Raspberry Sorbet" candle on my candle warmer and really feel like I'm going to have to throw it out... it smells like rotten fruit to me.  I remember being told that my tastes may change, but not my smells.  Does that make it a super power?  Amplified smells?  If so, what should my super hero name be?  Scratch & Sniff Girl?  Smelly Kelley?

Wow, I digress... (if you must know, I was envisioning a She-Ra type costume...)
So Patrick, the nutritionist, gave me some alternatives to the abhorred protein powders... I found the coffee flavored shake that I can drink, but it's got way too many calories and way too much sugar... so he suggested I use Carnation Instant Breakfast, mixed with skim milk, and add some Folger's instant coffee crystals.  Ha... who knew??  On top of that, instead of using the unflavored protein powder in creamy soups and "the mushies" (yes, that's what he calls this food phase... "the mushies), he suggested I use dry milk powder.  It has more protein than the protein powder.  Again, who knew??

Thankfully, he was able to give me some pointers and apparently was not at all surprised that I was having trouble with the protein shakes... guess I'm not the only one.  And I am also I'm one of the few that freaked out over the instructions and tried too hard to follow them exactly.  My Type A personality kicked in with a vengeance...

Once I was called back, I met with the PA, Sarah.  She's great.  She had called in some meds for me yesterday because I was having some pretty harsh pain when I ate.  She thought my stomach may be swelling, so I started prednisone last night.  Unfortunately, it was liquid and the gag fest kicked off again.  Today, she gave me another script for the regular tablets.  Whew.  She asked a lot of questions about nausea, how much liquid I was taking in, protein amounts, etc.  Based on my responses and the fact that I was feeling great at the time I was sitting in the office, she said I was doing amazingly well!

So based on that, I start back work tomorrow.  I talked with my manager and he wants me to take it slow.  I will start off working from home a few hours a day, as my energy holds up and then will head into the office for a few hours each day next week.  I am anxious to get back into a routine.  It's been nice to be home, but I'm going a bit stir crazy.

I did go get my hair did this afternoon... that was nice and relaxing :)  New year, new hair, new me!  After that, I stopped at Wendy's and got some Quality, Slow, Simmered Chili (that's what it says on the cup).  The chili is easy to mush up and packs some protein with the beans and beef.  It was delish!  No gagging!!  After that, I went to The Container Store... have always wanted to go... now I regret actually going.  Not only did I spend too much, but I thought I was going to have an Al Roker sharting episode while I was in there... Thankfully, I didn't.  But it was close!  The joys of having a tiny stomach.  "Never trust a fart" - Al Roker.  Oh how true this is... Maybe that should be my super hero name??  Shart Girl?

Ok, ok... so you're wondering what the weight loss was... I saved the best for last... Since December 18 (week before surgery), I have lost 26 lbs.  14 was lost prior to the surgery (protein shakes 3-4 times a day and lean and green diet (protein and non-starchy veggies).  The other 12 have been since surgery.  I ran into Dr. Bruce in the hallway and he said "you already look smaller!!".  I'll take that :)

So here goes nothing... my attempt to get back into a normal routine!  I can do this!!

Gag-tastically yours,
Kell

P.S.  Paris' paws smell like Fritos... and I don't even like Fritos...

3 comments:

  1. So, I'm dying to know...what do they suggest you do about clothing? As a fellow pinterest addict, I know you're drooling over all the new clothes you will get to wear. But when you lose the weight so fast what do they tell you to do about clothes?? This is important!!! Anyway--great job on the weightloss. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question!! I have talked with coworkers that have had this surgery and there is a Raleigh area support group that does "clothing swaps". You bring your clothes that you can't wear anymore and try on someone else's to find "new" stuff! The other suggestion that was made was to buy from goodwill or consignment shops! And, YES, I am drooling over the outfits on Pinterest!!!!

      Delete
  2. Fosters paws smell like Fritos too...WTH

    ReplyDelete